Regular Poster
deezel

Finding phone number from IMEI

My Xperia P was lost.  I got a message from the finder (from my own phone to my landline) who promised to drop it into the railway station. I've no contact number for them,  and when I rang my phone it was cut off after the first ring,  and then turned off. I guss the finder decided to become the keeper,  as the phone was never left in.  I assume the phone is locked to Meteor. Before I get the IMEI blocked, Is there any way you can run my IMEI number through your database to see if it is registered to a new (meteor) number? That way I (or the Guards) could retrieve it.

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Grainne
Topics: 3
Kudos: 766
Solutions: 315

Re: Finding phone number from IMEI

Hi deezel,

Unfortunately Meteor would be unable to track your phone for you. The only way that you could locate your phone is by contacting the Gardaí.

If you wish for your handset to be blocked could you PM the IMEI of the phone and I will be able block it for you.

Grainne

Unsolicited PMs will not be answered, use our 'Search Bar'' in the top right hand corner, your question may already have been answered but if not, drop a post on a relevant thread, or set one up yourself.

The forum is moderated from Monday-Friday - 9AM-5PM.
Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
deezel

[ Edited ]

It seems crazy,  If I contact the Guards,  they have to contact Meteor and other providers to ask them if the IMEI  was registered to another number after the legitimate number,  so it is yourselves who have to look up your database and see what new number the phone is registered to.  As long as its not blocked,  there is a chance it will be in use and the Guards can trace the new user and recover the phone.  Blocking ( which I have done) only makes the phone useless here in Ireland,  encouraging the thief to sell it for export,  then I've no chance of recovery. 

This is a debate that needs to be opened.  If I've bougt a phone and paid for it,  i've a right to know who is currently using it,  and it should be a matter of a simple request to meteor (and other providers) to provide the guards with a list of phone numbers which were put in the phone after it went missing. Proof of ownership,  (receipt and original registration record) is not in doubt,  so why should you seek to protect the identity of a person who is blatantly using a stolen phone on your network?

Phone theft is a scourge,  the loss of personal data and media far outweighs the cost of the actual device. Why don't the providers get together and make it impossible for casual re-use of stolen phone without consequences,  other that the current sanction of the phone merely being blocked. If a genuine owner reports a missing phone and IMEI,  set up you database to send the subsequent numbers registered to the Guards,  until such time as the phone is recovered and the stolen status is lifted by the original owner.

Please use plain text.
JimmyIreland
Kudos: 1,331
Solutions: 146

If you have blocked the phone,how can somebody else use it?If its a case its gone for export it will be another issue trying to trace it.

NOTE-I am a Meteor Mobile customer like you,I spend my free time here to help others,Multiple forum Master and balanced,Mobile Phone expert,find me on twitter @jimboireland
METEOR NUMBERS - PAYG: 1747 BillPAY: 1905

Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
deezel

I didn't block it straight away,  as I figured it would be used here as long as it was not blocked.  I'd hoped to get the phone number of who was using it to give to the guards,  I left it on a train and the finder wasn't very honest,  ringing me at home on it but not dropping it into the station,  and not leaving theirown details.  I figured it hadn't left the country, and if it had someone elses sim in it (it would have to be Meteor unless it was unlocked),  i'd have a chance of recovery if I got their phone number.

All Meteor offered by way of help was blocking. This would be like your car insurer telling you they had traced your stolen car,  and would blow it up remotely to prevent its use but would not tell you who had it so you might recover it, would not pay for a new .

Got an Experia T to replace, better screen,  but I've lost a shedload of personal data,  my last backup was December.

Please use plain text.
JimmyIreland

Blocking it is the only option thats given unless you have watertight proof who has it,you should make a habit of backing up data once a week for future ref via cloud or pc.I do understand there loss of personal data myself so i see your point.The thing is now if its been sold on its most likely been wiped of everything.

NOTE-I am a Meteor Mobile customer like you,I spend my free time here to help others,Multiple forum Master and balanced,Mobile Phone expert,find me on twitter @jimboireland

Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
deezel

Another reason to be certain where and who you buy a used phone off. It might work for weeks before the original owner decides to block it.  The new owner might have an idea who he bought it off and report them. I'd feel bad though if my phone had been passed on to an innocent befire I blocked it.  It should be made easy to check the IMEI of a phone offered for sale to see if its on a missing list. I'm waiting for one of the providers to offere a comprehensive phone security service,  tracking of IMEI,   a text number which validates the phone,  tells you if it has an outstanding contract ,  or its listed as missing etc.  This would influence me more than a gadzillion free texts

Please use plain text.
JimmyIreland

[ Edited ]

There is settings on some phones and applications now that can do all this work for you.There is also online tools to track IMEI numbers,cant post any links to them here as they contain advertsing.Google is your friend on that one.

Please use plain text.