Newbie Poster
Sean_D

Using Meteor mobile broadband(Hauwei E353) with ADSL Router as backup internet connection

I'm trying to use my Meteor mobile broadband USB stick (Hauwei E353) with my Draytek Vigor 2850Vn ADSL router as a backup internet connection but I can't get it to connect. I have checked and the Huawei E353 modem is supported on this router.

Aside from the SIM PIN Code, there are a number of configuration fields that need to be populated on the router setup page  {The values in set brackets are the current values I'm using}:

Modem Initial String: {APN:broadband.mymeteor.ie}

APN name: {Blank - used to populate the Modem Initial String above}

Modem Initial String 2: {Blank}

Modem Dial String: {ATDT*99#}

PPP Username: {Blank}

PPP Password: {Blank}

PPP Authentication: {PAP Only}

WAN Connection Detection: [ARP/Ping - I've set it to ARP Detect}

Can anyone help me with troubleshooting the problem, e.g., do I need to change any of my settings such at the modem initialisation string? I've checked on the Meteor site and can't seem to find guidance on this.

Many thanks,

Sean.

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Steve
Topics: 43
Kudos: 583
Blog Posts: 1
Solutions: 105

Re: Using Meteor mobile broadband(Hauwei E353) with ADSL Router as backup internet connection

Hi Sean,

I'll get this checked and revert to you shortly.

Steven

Unsolicited PM's will not be answered, please set up a thread if you need help with a query.
Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Sean_D

Re: Using Meteor mobile broadband(Hauwei E353) with ADSL Router as backup internet connection

Hi Steven,

Just wondered if you'd had a chance to find anything out?

Thanks and regards,

Sean.

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Steve

Hi Sean,

If the modem is working then you will need to troubleshoot the router as it could be anything and we don’t support third party devices. (i.e check Firmware).

The APN for mobile broadband access is definitely correct. There are some support sites for draytek devices available on the internet and show how to connect it to 3G device.

Hope this helps.

Steven

Unsolicited PM's will not be answered, please set up a thread if you need help with a query.
Please use plain text.
Meteor_Steve

Hi Sean,

If the modem is working then you will need to troubleshoot the router as it could be anything and we don’t support third party devices. (i.e check Firmware).

The APN for mobile broadband access is definitely correct. There are some support sites for draytek devices available on the internet and show how to connect it to 3G device.

Hope this helps.

Steven

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Sean_D

Hi Steven,

Is there a more current firmware version for the E353 Dongle and of so, would you be able to provide a link?

Thanks,

Sean.

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
CuroiusGeorge

Sean,

did you ever get this working?  I am trying to do the same thing with a Dovado router and being snowballed by  Meteor tech support (My apologies tothe poor souls in customer care who have to relay the messages and are doing thier best with "non-answers" from the techies). I can connect - but really slowly, if at all, on the router compared to the stick using APN: brodaband.mymeteor.ie.

Thanks - Padraic

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Sean_D

Hi,

No - I didn't manage to get it working yet I'm afraid.

I was fobbed off by Meteor Tech team, not supported, etc. etc.

I used the log facility under the Windows (7) Device manager to check the various AT codes. They seem OK.

I'm currently wworking with DrayTek's Tech support at a glacial pace trying to verify that the modem is recongnised correctly.

Difficulty is that where router is positioned currently does not allow the Huawei E353 to get a signal so when I get time, I'll have to unhook everything and see if getting a signal makes a ddifference (to USB modem being recognised).

Seems I shouldn't get my expectations up! ;-)

Rgds,

S.

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
CuroiusGeorge

Thanks for that. I will let you know if I make any progress. Just waiting on another router - TP-Link - which may or may not make a difference. 

I can understand Tech Support not being able to provide support given the variety of routers out there but they seem to go out of their way to be unhelpful on this topic - even with basic stuff like confirming the APN name and whether it requires login credentials.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Steve

Did you receive any APN's from them?

Steven

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
CuroiusGeorge

As I needed to upgrade my Router anyway in the hope of getting better 3.75G speeds I purchased a new router (TP-Link MR3420 - from ~amazon with free shipping to IE) and tried this. On this router my broadband works fine - I get at least the same speed as direct on the laptop (haven't done any real benchmarkiing yet). I am using Dial: *99#, APN: broadband.mymeteor.ie, Userid: Blank, Password: Blank. This is working with a Meteor E173 USB stick and also with an unlocked O2 E353 stick. Authentication tyope: Auto. (I believe this means it would use PAP or CHAP if it needed to bus as there is no Userid/PSWD presumably irrelevant)  MTU Size 1480 (default). I had tried these settings on the Dovado UMR(except MTU) but could not get it to work. The main downside of the TP-Link is that it does not have the traffic notification by email - essential if you want to avoid hefty bills on billpay for exceeding your limit. On the plus side if you also have a land line and you are using 3G as backup you can also connect the landline and have it fail over to 3G only if the landline is not available. They supoport a wide range of modems but you need to download the user guide as only a small number are listed if you go by the website only.

Hope this helps.

:smileyhappy:

Padraic

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
CuroiusGeorge

Steven - soprry only just saw your post. The only APNs I received from Meteor support were inaccurate - I think early on I was given isp.mymeteor.ie when I had SIM only - which obviously did not work. Having later found broadband.mymeteor.ie in the dongle settings I sought confrimation from support that a) this was correct and b) confirmation on theuserid / password I had seen listed (my / meteor) but could not get a straight answer - instead got some waffle about using the standard settings on the web site - which I still have not found !!

Cheers,

Padraic

Please use plain text.
Poster
CuriousGeorge

Steven,

just saw from an old note that I was given data.mymeteor.ie as the APN initially not isp.mymeteor.ie.

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Steve

Wopuld you like me to get the APN's sent to your email address?

Steven

Please use plain text.
Poster
CuriousGeorge

Stebven,

yes please.  I think I have the APN correct now  - but useful to have it confirmed in any case.

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Steve

Hi,

I've requested that for you now.

Steven

Please use plain text.
Poster
RealRaven

Did you get anywhere on this? I wonder why Meteor does not pujt this on their BB support site - looks like they don't update the site very often (maybe once every 3 years)

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
Sean_D

No. Never got anywhere. They were not in the slightest bit interested."Not supported" and all that nonsense.They're not interested in the 1% of customers that want to do this sort of thing. I'm just surprised that nobody in tech support was interested or curious enough to have a go at resolving it.

Please use plain text.
Poster
RealRaven

Yeah, I must say compared to Meteor, Three support hand it to you on a silver platter. I have been running a three modem on my Draytek router for 5 years non-stop now, and they never gave me trouble for it. Meteor doesn't even believe that their **bleep**ty dialer is actually a piece of software.

Still having this weird problem, and nobody answered that either:

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
sudo_su

I am wanting to upgrade my router also I have a tplink tl-w703n that I would like to add a Dongle too I failed on my installation but I know where I went wrong , long boring stuff but I do know the e3131 will work on my OpenWRT firmware version , the reason why I say long story is because when I installed Luci my df -h came to 75% full . Keep in mind this is a 4MB device Luci had enough to install the

usb...

http://www.it-slav.net/blogs/2010/06/12/howto-use-3g-dongle-huawei-e1750-in-openwrt/

Instructions are the same for my device

Luci Theme had enough to install the Interface and the device was read

It was missing a file or couldn't install it but that is fixable with a bit of searching online . or do it all comand line.

E3131 HiLink Stick

I will have to replicate the issue to show a resolve but I returned the dongle to its owner I was testing it , but seeing as I got that far I can work on the issue , I have no doubt this device will work , once I follow the guides correctly.

Until I get one in the shop over the weekend for myself I am using a Samsung I5500 Rooted and tethering to the TP-link router using the APN

broadband.mymeteor.ie

with a Broadband simcard in the phone sharing the connection to the tl-w703n router via WiFi .     Little project with the Raspberry Pi .http://www.chillispot.info/index.html

I made use of the free USB port that is for the Dongle on the tl-w703n. It charges the phone battery :smileywink:

Please use plain text.