MyMeteor Log in
Newbie Poster
zenitram1989

Iphone 4 cannot be unlocked because original owner deceased

I purchaed an iphone 4 on eBay several months ago from an eBay seller. He/she sells lots of phones to lots of people. I assume it is how they make a living. It cost about €300.

After some online research of other networks which offer much better deals than meteor. I naturally decided to change network . This I thought would be a relitively painless process but Meteor enjoy make everything a burden; spending a lumpsum of profit on stupid tv ads rather than customer service or policy. I went into 3(Three.ie) shop and purchased a new sim for €20 but when putting it in my phone it wouldn't work because my phone is locked. I thought that shouldn't be a problem because my brother's phone was unlocked from O2 and there was no problem.

So I rang meteor customer service unlocking department to ask to unlock my phone, they told me that I had to find the original owner of the phone and get them to ring Meteor customer service to unlock my phone. This phone they do not own anymore and  they no longer use. They also do not know me or care about me so getting them to ring up is a big hassle, its also not even a free customer service helpline so would be costing them money for them to unlock it for some random guy.

Anyway, I contacted the seller on eBay and after another two weeks, much frustration, and many emails basically begging for him to find the original owner he found out that the person who he bought the phone off had died. Meteor suggested that somehow I obtain this death certificate and send it to Meteor and also get the bereaved family to contact Meteor to tell them that this guy wants his phone unlocked!!!!!! Perhaps meteor you want me to go to the funeral on your behalf ask the family there, afterall how else will I contact them?

Meteor did know the details of the person who bought the phone but the Data Protection law prevents Meteor from telling me any contact information despite it being in front of their computer screen when talking on the phone. I understand the right to privacy but maybe Meteor could have sent them an email to verify the unlocking of a phone. Apparently its "not meteors problem" and its up to me to contact them. If this contract is between meteor and the original owner how is it up to me? Even if I managed to conact them, do you think the families priority is to unlock my phone?

Buying this phone from eBay was an exchange of money for a phone -I own this phone now- and it is now by law network providers duty to grant permission to unlock a phone. I have the eBay receipt to prove that I own this phone. They told me that "that is the risk of buying a phone from ebay"  but many people today reuse phones and they have mulltiple owners. Should we just put phones that work perfectly well in the bin after use to buy new shiny ones in the shop for the sake of Meteor's policy? iphones are often handed down/resold rather than thrown out because they are long lasting, retain value and seem to not go out of fashion. Generally phones like most technology will be sold on to another user, online people even sell broken phones for parts. My point is that perhaps Meteor should not join such binding contracts to phones if they do not keep track of the phones actual user rather than buyer. People buy phones to resell, as presents, companies buy phones for employees. Its just a monpoly Meteor has to prevent people from choosing competitor networks.

I suggest Meteor changes this policy and stops trying to monopolitize the network by preventing people to change over, that way you might actually be a useful service.

On the Meteor website you make the unlocking of phones appear simple, effortless. Maybe this situation wouldnt happen if you offered some transparency and told the truth -We ONLY unlock phones from the ORIGINAL buyer. And then nobody would use your service at all and we would be happy. I think this is a grey area in Meteors policy and deserves to be discussed. Its really unfair to waste so much of my time. 

**Does anyone want to swap an iphone 4 unlocked for a one with a Meteor contract(I thought not)**

Meteor please propose a solution to get my phone unlocked?

Regards,Steven

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Grainne
Topics: 3
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 239

Re: Iphone 4 cannot be unlocked because original owner deceased

Hi Steven,

First of all my apologies you did not get a response to your post until now.

The response that you received from the agents in our unlocking code team are correct. For data protection reasons it is not possible for Meteor to provide the unlocking code for this particular phone to yourself as you are not the original owner of the handset.

As you can see from this link only the registered account holder can request the unlocking code: http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/how-do-I-get-an-unlocking-code/

Grainne

Unsolicited PMs will not be answered, use our 'Search Bar'' in the top right hand corner, your question may already have been answered but if not, drop a post on a relevant thread, or set one up yourself.

The forum is moderated from Monday-Friday - 9AM-5PM.
Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
zenitram1989

Hey Grainne, you are probably a bot but I will give you the benefit of the doubt. I understand the policy. But my point is why I am bound to a contract Meteor has with someone else. Let me explain, there are three parties involved in this scenario:

A. The original owner

B. Meteor

C.The current owner

As the current owner of the phone , I have no control over my network because I do not know who the original owner is. Meteor has all the information but cannot contact them asking to approve the unlocking of the phone. They cannot help me at all.

As the new owner of the phone surely I should have some control over how I use it. No? Meteor should contact the original owner to ask if the person would like the phone unlocked, because I do not know who they are.

Its an important point I have, and its something meteor will have to take into increasing consideration as more phones swap hands and more people move abroad for work. In my opinion phone and contract should be two seperate entities and should not be bound by needless contracts.

An how do you propose I go about this wild goose chase of finding the original owner? your solution given is to stick with Meteor or put your phone in the bin and to be honest I'm tempted to choose the section option.

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Bobby
Topics: 26
Kudos: 561
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 149

Hi Steven,

When you bought the phone, were you advised by the seller that this phone was locked?
Was there any mention of the network it was originally with?

Thanks
-Bobby
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Forum Terms of Service... Please Read

Unsolicited PMs will not be answered, use our 'Search Bar'' in the top right hand corner, your question may already have been answered but if not, drop a post on a relevant thread, or set one up yourself.

Please use plain text.
Newbie Poster
zenitram1989

It was advertised that it had a meteor sim but I assumed that I could change if I wanted to do so. The seller is not in the wrong, Meteor is-The meteor website makes is appear to be an easy process to unlock your phone. I'm not even sure what I need from the original owner, for them to wake from the dead and ring up and tell Meteor I own the phone now and to unlock it please?

Any network provider not willing to unlock a phone is simply holding a monopoly. Users should be able to choose any network they want to be with and use my phone how they wish to do so. I advise anyone who sees this post to read between-the-lines of the small print when agreeing to any form of contract with meteor.

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Bobby
Topics: 26
Kudos: 561
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 149

Hi Zenitram1989,

We explain the unlock process on our website and we have a dedicated team for issuing unlock codes, they are available to advise on any questions or queries related to the matter.

We need to issue the unlock code to the account holder for data protection reasons.

In the case where a phone has been stolen, we cannot issue the unlock code to another user.

We advise that each and every customer would read the T&C's of their contract they wish to take out.

If I can help with anything else please let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

-Bobby
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Forum Terms of Service... Please Read

Please use plain text.
Berni

Hi, sorry for my language!
I'm posting from Italy and I think you can help me...I bought an Iphone 5 on ebay...this phone is locked on meteor and I cant use that in Italy with the italian carrier...Can you tell me how can i ask to meteor staff for unlocking my phone?
Waiting
Thanks
Please use plain text.
Meteor Maestro
WallaceWells

Hi Berni -

you need to contact your eBay seller and ask him to contact meteor to ask for an unlock code for this phone. He will need the phone's IMEI (Settings > General > About). Only if he is the original owner and had either a fulfilled Bill Pay contract with meteor or fulfilled the PAYG requirements (minimum 150 Euro top up since buying the phone) will he be able to do this.

Otherwise, there is no way for the iPhone to be unlocked officially.

Please use plain text.
Meteor_Julie
Topics: 1
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 28

Hey Berni

Tell us know how you got on with the suggestion that WallaceWells gave you.

Fingers crossed :smileywink:

-Julie

Help & Support Home Page | Forum T&C's - Please read | Meteor web-chat: 9AM - 11PM

Please note that unsolicited PMs will not be answered. Try using our 'Search Bar' in the top right hand corner as your question could already be answered. If not just drop a post on a relevant thread or set one up yourself.

Please use plain text.